Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Summer Reading Kick Off

Recently, our library had it's summer reading kick off event. So Hubs and I took all four of the Daleks (our two plus two of the neighborhood boys) to register for summer reading. The event took place at one of the local malls. It was a little crowded, but a lot of fun.

We began our adventure by signing up at the registration table. Well, I stood in line at the registration table while Hubs took the Daleks to the face painting line. After I got our books, I joined them. However, we soon gave up on the idea of face painting. There was only one person doing it. She was spending 10-15 per child and we were at least twenty kids back. (You do the math.) At least while we waited the Daleks got some very cool binoculars from one of the staff people walking around.

Oh, you can bet your bottom dollar that
I put their names on them when we got home!

There was so much to see and do. Everything was garden related, this year's theme at the library. After we gave up on the face painting, we came to a table full of free goodies. (Sorry, no picture of that one.) They got really cool backpacks which they'll be able to use all summer. Also on the table were pencils, stickers, coloring pages and best of all...cookies! And by cookies, I don't mean a pack of Oreos. No my friends, these were fresh baked, chocolate chunk cookies. Yeah, my rule of no junk before lunch went right out the window! (Hmmm, I want a cookie now!) Ahem, sorry, where was I? Ah, yes.

The Daleks entered a coloring contest.

Okay, I'll admit, I'm not sure how pirates were
garden related. But, they had fun coloring them.


The Daleks made butterflies. out of clothes pins, pipe cleaners, and tissue paper.


They made and planted sunflowers.


And made a few more butterflies and caterpillars.


They also got to investigate caterpillars.




All in all, the Daleks had a  lot of fun and are very excited about this summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment